Wedding invitations are a necessity when it comes down to it, right? You need an invitation to send to your guests so that they know the details for your big day. But the question is, where do you get them?
Now there are several resources for invitations, some not for the faint of heart (I’m looking at you DIY’ers) as there are A LOT of moving parts to an invitation suite, but that’s a blog post for another time. You have your options of: local or online stationer (real person, one-on-one service), DIY printing, or online retailer.
Before I list my reasons why to invest in a stationer, I should note that I’m not (completely) knocking online retailers such as Minted, The Knot, Zazzle, etc. These online stores are for couples who don’t truly care about the art of stationery and don‘t want to allow more budget for it- and that’s okay! I get it. But there are so many great reasons why paper stationery is important and why you should care.
Without further ado, reasons to invest in your wedding invitations:
1) Invitations are tangible pieces from a wedding that the couple and guests can keep forever. Think about it, so many people display wedding invitations on their fridge! So, technically it’s home art for a while.
Most parents and grandparents will save invitations as keepsakes. It’s also the perfect memento to be displayed in your wedding shadow box post wedding.
2) Working with a designer for a custom design doesn’t mean “my colors are blush and white and I want it to be romantic like this Pinterest photo..” NO. It’s so much more than that! Hiring a designer is being able to have a one-of-a-kind design that truly reflects the couple, not just copying something you like or is only the aesthetic of the wedding.
3) Going with a big online company for invites means that it’s not unique and thousands of other people have the same design as you. The EXACT same.
My semi-custom collection line, The Essentials, (invitations that are pre-designed) I only allow five couples to have the same invitation. And even then, most couples will add embellishments so no two sets are a like!
4) You’re not only supporting local business but someone’s family and dreams.
When you book with me, you’re supporting my little family and my creative outlet that lets me be me, instead of just a mom and wife (which I love being, I’m just more than only that 💕).
5) Through big sites you’ll be overloaded with design choices, there are thousands. So one may spend too much unwanted time sifting through the options (like the TV channels, “what else is there??”) and then feel overwhelmed. With a local designer, you can send them your Pinterest mood board and have conversations about your likes. The designer creates something based off of your vision.
6) Cohesive design throughout your wedding. Menus, place cards, thank you cards will all match so it doesn’t feel and look jumbled.
7) “At the end of the day, the rest of your wedding vendors are likely humans. While the online shops are convenient, nothing can replace two humans communicating to each other about your big day. Stationers communicate directly with planners, who communicate with everyone else. Working with a custom stationer is another way to ensure a smooth and confusion-free big day.” By Rachel from Freed Hands
There ya have it. Just a few reasons why it’s important to work with a small business for your wedding stationery goods.
Needing wedding stationery for your big day? I
I’d love to hear from you and work together on your custom invitations! I also have a semi-collection line with customizable pre-designs for those who need a lower price point.
Can‘t wait to hear from you!